tested with lw9.6 32-bit installed on windows 7
64-bit machine with UDK and UnrealED UT3
Download and Install the plugin:
- Follow this link,
http://www.troggpond.com/lwtools/index.html, to the website that hosts the PSK/PSA import/export plugins.
It is found in the first paragraph of the page and is called
"LW7.0 compatible Plugins" .
- Unzip and place in the Lightwave plugins folder. eg.(C:\Program
Files (x86)\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9\Plugins\7compatible)
Sample PSK downloads:
Import a PSK mesh file:
- In Modeler use File-Load Object and "change Fils of type:"
to All Files to load the PSK mesh
- If using one of the UT3 PSK meshes set mode to action center
origin and press the "r" key in the top view port 2 times to
rotate the mesh 180 degrees.
- Save the mesh as a Lightwave object
- Open the lwo in Layout and be sure it is selected for the
- Load the skeleton by Utilities-Additional-MRB::ImportSkel,
click the Bone Info button, browse to and choose the same PSK
file and click OK.
- Optional step to make bone appearance cleaner: If the
bones are sized to reasonable lengths it will make it easier to
use them as a basis for modeling and in animation.
- Open the scene editor, choose the property tab and
choose the Bone Influence set
- Expand all the children of the root bone recursive
- Uncheck all the Multiply Strength by Rest Length(this
step may not be needed)
- Choose the Bone Basic set and reduce the Rest Length for
all the bones till they look good.
- Maybe turn off the Auto-size Bones option in
- Save the object and then save the scene as a 9.2 version
scene, File-Export-Save 9.2 Scene...
- Download and install the LoadBones plugin from DStorm
- back in Modeler, add the LoadBones plugin to the menus -
Edit Menu Layout - search for "load bones" and add it to the
- New object and run Load Bones, browse to the scene file(the
9.2 version scene file) and Open, check the with Object option
and press OK to load the mesh and skelegons.
- Cut and past the skelegons to a new layer and now there
exists a set of skelegons and a mesh with all required weight
maps to be used as a template for creating new meshes.
Import PSA animation file:
- Position the time slider to zero or to the point in time the
animation should be imported to.
- Select the skeletal mesh to receive the animation.
- Load the animation by Utilities-Additional-MRB::ImportSkel,
click the Keyframes button and browse for a PSA file
- Choose an animation from the dropdown list and press OK
- Decide on a destination folder and add 2 folders inside it
named like so. Both these folders are required for the
exporter to work.
- add displacement to the mesh - MRB::Export:UnrealSkel - double click
and push edit
- set base output folder to the destination folder containing the 2
required folders \Models and \Classes
- mesh setup tab - type a mesh name which will become the file name
and check save w/all so saving is enabled for the mesh to the psk
- animation manager tab - type name for the animation file and check
save w/all so a psa file is created
- choose the mesh with deformation in frame list provider
- "=" is for updating existing animation items, "+"
is for adding an animation sequence, "up" and "down" is for
changing the order of the sequences and "x" is for deleting
fields left to right: name of the sequence, length in frames
and start frame
updating the name in the list does not update the sequence name
selecting a line from the list activates the input fields for
sequence name, frame rate etc.
the script setup tab does not do anything
Export mesh and animations
put a check next to each model to be saved and click save checked
a preview will be created(don't know if necessary) and the mesh and
animation files will be written to disk in the \Models folder,
nothing is written to \Classes folder
Skeletal mesh and animation ready for import to editor
Import mesh, animations and textures to the
fix names of all bones by removing the trailing spaces(for ut3
skeletons imported to work with ut3 built-in animations)
can import skeleton or skeleton and animation or just animation if
skeleton already setup
animation loaded to whatever time the current time slider is set to
can only import animations one at a time
be sure tga alpha is not enabled
surface and uv names always match?
extensions (psk, psa)added automatically
script section of plugin is not operational